Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Twitter and tech addicts

So I am just now getting around to blogging about Twitter. While I recognize the merit in Twitter as a tool that could help the library connect with teens and other tech savvy patrons, I don't think we are quite there yet. This could have a lot to do with the demographic that I am used to seeing at North Park, but from what I gather, our patrons at least wouldn't benefit from it yet.

Now from a personal standpoint, I am not judging or condeming those who twitter or blog or text (because I am a blogger and a texter), but our over-fascination with tech makes me kinda sad. Now obviously we can't revert back to party lines and model T's, but in some ways, I wish we still kinda kept it simple stupid. New tools and technology emerge because we are trying to save time, so if we save time by shopping and paying bills online so we don't have to go to the mall and post office, we email so we don't have to write, and we text so we don't have to call, we should be racking up tons of time saved, right? My question is: where is our time going?

The Twitter video that was supposed to make me see how cool it is and make me want to use it made me want to throw away my cell phone and pay a friend an unexpected visit, rather than update them on my every move. It kinda stinks that Carla had to learn that her friend likes VanHalen from Twitter and that she is addicted (and that's a quote) to her blackberry, blog and email. It's a shame that we are so busy now a days that we have reduced many of our friendships to the fast food, on the way to work level. Can we honestly believe that technology can take the place of human interaction? Maybe, just maybe we need to cut some things out and take the time to smell the roses. Life is passing us by and just because we are kept up to date with happenings around the world and around the corner doesn't mean that we are taking the time to enjoy them and be a part of them.

4 comments:

  1. didn't you know we're all ( opps bsg finale spoiler) half cylons?

    so of course tech would trump over interacting with people, live and in person..cuz duh, we're all machines.

    gotta motor, getting twittered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Viva Les Actual Humans Living Actual Lives in Real Time and Interacting with Other Actual Humans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree with your comments. It makes me feel kinda sad, too, that our society is moving so far away from personal contact. As for all this tech stuff being timesavers? It's doubtful. And does anyone remember how computers were going to make us a "paperless" society?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said Helen, I think we live in a world (to quote This American Life peeps) that focuses so much on the topic sentence, that a lot of people have no deeper understanding or meaning or knowledge about things. Everything is geared to what can be categorized or summed up in a paragraph. Shallow minds reaped bad produce.

    ReplyDelete