Saturday, March 7, 2009

RSS snacks... I mean feeds.

My best friend who is in the Navy band is leaving in a few days to be stationed in Italy for the next two years, so hubby and I went out for a celebratory goodbye dinner with her and her boyfriend. We dined at Cafe Rustica (which I highly recommend) and indulged in wine, fresh bread, cheese, radicchio with balsamic vinagrette, NY strip, garlic mashers, steamed veggies, grilled pound cake with lemon curd and fresh fruit and coffee. I had a stick of juicy fruit for breakfast this morning to compesate for my gluttany last night. It all balances out, right? Well now my poor tummy thinks that it can expect meals like that all the time and it's growling at me... I really shouldn't blog about anything called feeds when I am hungry, but I digress.

Ok, RSS snacks... I mean feeds. Hmm. After a great demonstration and sales pitch from Lisa about how RSS feeds could be really useful to getting the word out about goings-on at the library, I really do see the potential. As far as reaching out to people who may not keep up with Connections but are interested in what we have to offer, it could really be a great tool... the only trick would be getting people to subscribe to the feed. I think that overall, TW and TU would have the greatest success rate with the feeds because their demographic is overall more tech savvy. Right now, I believe that due to the digital divide that exists in NP's area regarding socio-economic status and age, it would be a struggle to get a large portion of our patrons to subscribe to a feed. The YA population would arguable benefit the most from this addition to our website, but hopefully as the divide narrows, it could become increasingly more effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment